LASIK News | LASIKComplications.com
Lasik patient receives $2.1M - Star-Ledger 7/8/2008
From the article: A Bedminster man who alleges he was left legally blind by Lasik surgery reached a $2.1 million settlement with the prominent eye surgeon who performed the procedure, his attorney said yesterday. James Dell'Ermo, 47, sought to rid himself of cumbersome eyeglasses and contact lenses he used for his nearsightedness, said his attorney, David Mazie of Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman in Roseland... Mazie said his client underwent Lasik surgery in the Bergenfield office of Joseph Dello Russo, an eye surgeon known in part for his advertising campaign and promotions.
Lasik surgeon settles suit with former patient Tuesday, BY KIBRET MARKOS
The Record online edition. NorthJersey.com 7/8/2008
From the article: The settlement ends one of numerous malpractice lawsuits against Dr. Joseph Dello Russo, who has been tangled in litigation for years while performing tens of thousands of Lasik surgeries from a well-advertised practice. The plaintiff in this case, James Dell'Ermo of Bedminister, is one of 16 former patients who filed malpractice claims against Dello Russo. Some of those plaintiffs have reached confidential settlements, while others are awaiting trial... The Dell'Ermo case is "further evidence as to the questionable safety of Lasik procedures and the physicians who perform those procedures," Mazie said... On his Web site, Dello Russo describes himself as a pioneer in Lasik surgery and points out that he has been crowned the "King" and the "Godfather" of Lasik by various media personalities. Mazie said the settlement is the only one so far that is not confidential. Dello Russo insisted on a confidential settlement, but Dell'Ermo would not agree, the lawyer said.